Thursday, October 1, 2009

Why is Palindrome Not a Palindrome?

You know how I know you're gay?

Does anyone else remember that skit? I forget where it's from (someone can post it in the comment section if you do know) but it is just two guys sitting on a couch playing video games and one of them says to the other one:

"You know how I know you're gay?....._________" and fills in the blank with some random thing about the other guy. Then the other guy returns in kind with the same phrase.

Yesterday I enjoyed a delicious dinner at Applebee's neighborhood grill and bar with longtime friend of mine, Matt Johnson. We sat down, Matt had a beer, I told a corny joke or two, we artfully critiqued the attractiveness of the waitress, but before any of this a funny thing happened. While the hostess - who was clearly in earshot - lead us to our booth, I casually said, "Matt, I really wish you would dress up a little nicer for our dates in the future," to which Matt quickly muttered cursing under his breath, presumably to reassure the hostess of his compete and undeniable heterosexuality, (as if his beard weren't evidence enough).

I've been single for a while now and it never occurred to me that I should avoid situations that may give the appearance of one who wasn't actively seeking a female compatriot. It isn't uncommon for friends of mine to joke around quite gay-ishly just to get a reaction, but the more I think about it, the more I wonder if Matt was right. Maybe we should all be more mindful of our behavior as it could give the wrong impression to the pubic at large.

I would say lesson learned but I did just got back from Walmart where I purchased a pumpkin spice candle in a glass jar. Looks like I have some ground to make up.

No comments:

Post a Comment